New York Knicks:
- The Knicks have shown interest in free agent Lou Amundson. The 6’9 center who averaged 3.9 PPG & 3.7 RPG in 12.6 MPG with the Pacers last season has drawn attention from from several teams who can offer more than the Knicks veteran minimum contract. Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports reports that the Bobcats, who are also interested, can offer $2.5 million. According to Amundson’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, the six-year veteran “is in no rush to make a decision.”
- According to Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld, it sounds like Josh Howard is nearing a decision. The 32-year old small forward averaged 8.7 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in 23 minutes per game last season with the Utah Jazz, and the Knicks are still showing interest in the 9-year veteran.
- Small forward Donte Green, who averaged 5.4 points and 2.5 rebounds in 14.7 minutes per game last season with the Kings said the Knicks are 1 of 3 teams he’s considering. The other two teams are the Indiana Pacers and the Chicago Bulls.
- Kenyon Martin would’ve been a nice pickup for the Knicks, but reports indicate that the L.A. Lakers & the Brooklyn Nets are the teams currently expressing interest. Despite sources close to the 12-year veteran saying he would not sign for the veteran’s minimum, he may have no choice as it appears that’s all the Lakers & Nets can offer. Don’t count the Knicks out just yet.
- A source close to 10-year veteran, Chris Andersen, says he is ‘open’ to signing at the veteran’s minimum. The 6’10 PF/C would be a solid backup and would fit right in with his former teammates. Andersen has played 5 seasons (DEN, NOH) with J.R. Smith & 3 1/2 (DEN) with Carmelo Anthony. Not to mention he would make the Knicks the most tatted team in the NBA.
- Marquis Teague officially signed his rookie contract today at the United Center. He agreed to a lower deal for 100 percent of the rookie salary in the first year, $857,000. The following 3 years will be at the more common 120 percent. He was the last drafted rookie to complete his deal.
- Free agency tidbits: The Bulls only have $758,550 remaining until they hit the hard cap – and with the veteran’s minimum priced at $857,000, the free agency period is likely over for them. The final roster as of now to begin 2012-2013 is: Derrick Rose, Kirk Hinrich, Nate Robinson, Marquis Teague, Rip Hamilton, Marco Belinelli, Luol Deng, Jimmy Butler, Taj Gibson, Vladimir Radmanivic, Carlos Boozer, Joakim Noah, Nazr Mohammed.
- Agent to Summer League beast, Malcolm Thomas, confirmed to Real GM that the Bulls are out of play in potential destinations for the PF. He has expressed interest in playing overseas via Twitter. CSN Chicago reports that the Bulls had offered Thomas a partially guaranteed deal that he ultimately passed up.
- Nazr Mohammed will wear #48 with the Bulls, representing the street number he grew up on in Chicago. This week he appeared on WCIU’s You and Me to talk about his new team: ”I haven’t been this happy going into a situation for a long time” – you can watch the interview here.
- ICYMI: Derrick Rose attended the adidas Nations championship game earlier this week. Steve Kyler, a writer for HOOPSWORLD, was also in attendance and reported that Rose is “looking to get stationary court work in maybe next week”. All reports as of now indicate the 2011 MVP is ahead of schedule.
- CSN Chicago reports that the Bulls want to sign Taj Gibson to an extended contract before the season begins and do not want to risk him becoming a restricted free agent next summer.